Wednesday 26 February 2020

FROM DUST TO DUST


Hello hi,

It’s been a minute since I last wrote. I’m trying hard not to say “how time flies” because it seems like I say that every time, but can you believe that it’s already almost the end of February?! Anyway, I hope the year has been going good for you so far. For me, it’s been busy and a few things have happened since the last time I wrote. For example, I was invited to give a talk on careers in academia, one of the highlights of my career so far which I am thankful for. Another thing that happened was that Valentine’s day came and passed and we (I mean single people) survived! LOL. Honestly, these days I don’t even remember when it comes because I am always at a conference during that period. So unless I check social media or I get a message or some goodies, then it escapes me. This year, I got some flowers and chocolate, but as usual they were not from a lover/boyfriend/husband. They were actually from a friend (‘s wedding, hee hee) so technically, they don’t count as valentine’s presents but all the same, I was happy. Next thing that happened was that I went skiing, again! But this time, I had improved very much,if I say so myself – actually my ski instructor said so too and my video here is proof :P.

I also ate too much at the conference, who wouldn’t? There were lots of great dishes for every meal of the day and all were buffet! I knew I had gained weight within my short stay over there and my plan was to go on a diet immediately I returned home. Before travelling, I had cleared my fridge and so when I got home, I had nothing to eat. So I decided to have some nuts – pecans and spicy corns, as well as some cookies I had brought back with me, and then start my fruit cleanse the next day. However, I think I ate too much of everything plus the pecans and before I knew it, I was having severe diarrhoea and vomiting. That was how I spent the next day, in and out of the toilet and pharmacy, and for the next few days, I felt extremely weak. The next day I weighed myself, I had already lost 1kg, isn’t God great?! Ha ha!

Now I can laugh about it but I tell you, it was a very scary experience for me. The last time I had suffered this severely from a gastro infection was when I was in primary school, from a class project of fruit salad. I had passed out and ended up in my school clinic where my mother had to come and pick me from. I spent days at the hospital as I was unable to eat without vomiting and after then, my mother banned me from eating fruit salad which I adhered to until just a few years ago. So when I fell ill again this time, unable to eat, I feared for myself especially as I was alone. I was so weak that I could barely speak or stand. Thankfully, the Lord sent my neighbours to my aid and one of them even ended up sleeping with me that night to make sure I was okay. I eventually regained my strength after about a week of taking oral rehydration therapy, gravol, plantain boiled by my neighbour and bread from another neighbour. I can’t thank them enough for their kindness! Also, to think that all of these just happened last week, and I can blog today makes me realise how blessed I am. It reminds me that life can be fickle and you never know what tomorrow holds….which brings me to what I am writing about today titled:
FROM DUST TO DUST


Today is Ash Wednesday. If you are unfamiliar with what this season is about, it is the beginning of fasting period and lent season for Catholics, which lasts for about 40 days before Easter. There’s always mass (church service) on the Wednesday whereby the priest puts an ash in the shape of a cross on the foreheads of the congregation and either says “From dust you came and to dust you shall return” or “Repent and believe in the Gospel”. The church members usually leave the ashes on their forehead for the whole day as a reminder of where we came from and as a sign of repentance. Most people go for either early morning or late evening mass for Ash Wednesday but today, I went to church during my work break as there was a noon mass. When I returned to the office, I had forgotten about the ash on my forehead until my colleagues started to ask me about it. Some wondered if I had stained myself with soot and someone even asked if I had had an accident. This was the first time I had ever had to explain this much to people as the previous places I had lived in, most people knew what the symbol meant or simply did not ask. However, I was happy to do so.

During this period we (Catholics) are expected to do 3 main things – 1) Pray more, 2) Fast or abstain from something, and 3) Give alms to the poor. In the past, I had abstained from Starbucks drinks, meat, dating, gossiping, keeping grudges against people, and I think I even tried once to abstain from listening to secular music. A few people have asked me what I am giving up this time and after much thought, I have chosen 3 things to focus on:
1. Abstaining from Meat (beef/chicken/pork) – I will not be cooking any of these during this lent season and I will try my best to avoid them, except in public places where there are no other ‘good’ options. Please note that this does not include fish J
2. Attending the stations of the cross – For some years, I have not attended the stations of the cross held every Friday. This usually consists of prayers and portrayal of the period from the carrying of the cross to the crucifixion of Jesus. I stopped attending because there were always meeting conflicts; usually Zumba class or something else fell on the same time. However, this year I will try to attend more often. I think additional going to church on Fridays for an hour will not hurt my fitness regime.
3. Speaking of Fridays, I will be giving up kissing on Fridays. This is not to say that I have been kissing around or that I even have someone or people to kiss, lol. I’m just adding this just in case…, you never know J You might also be wondering why on Fridays, well I don’t exactly have an answer except that it is usually considered the most solemn day of the week for Catholics.

So these are my decisions for lent. How about you, will you be giving up something? By the way, you don’t have to be catholic to join the band; I know lots of non-religious people who take opportunity of this season to improve themselves spiritually and otherwise. So feel free to join and comment on what you might want to give up. J

Until my next blogpost, stay well and live life to the fullest and in gratitude. Don’t forget to keep visiting my blog and follow my Instagram page @lavivsblog and twitter @vivio_gogo for more updates. My main Instagram page is @ugochiukah
Thank you for reading my post and please share. God bless. X


3 comments:

  1. 🤣🤣🤣😂, you're giving up kissing on Fridays, that's a new one. Sounds as if you've got a kissing booth with men lining up for that 😘, 🤗. I thought the whole concept was for you to give up something which deprives the flesh and nourishes the spirit. So are you codedly telling us something?🤔

    Ogo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I never said that. Just said I'm keeping it clean for friday :P

      Delete
  2. I'm giving up social media and drinking coca cola. The goal was to read and write more with all my free time. But I have not been in the mood to read.So I just sleep, listen to music and watch YouTube or Netflix. I try to watch/listen to gospel more so that I keep the Lenten spirit

    ReplyDelete