2 posts in a week, yay! I'm trying to make up for the gap period, lol. So I just thought to summarize my previous Bellanaija article here and give a few points on questions that should be avoided on a first date. Now I do not claim to be a date or relationship expert but these are merely thoughts from me or/and experiences of other that I have heard about which many people agree not to like. So enjoy :) :
QUESTIONS YOU SHOULD NOT ASK ON A FIRST DATE
Like I previously mentioned on Bellanaija, dates should be enjoyable and used to get to know about each other in a relaxing manner. Therefore, bringing up certain topics which might get things get uncomfortable should be avoided, especially on the first date. Here are five questions that I think you should not ask on first dates:
1. Questions about finances: Yes, it is okay to talk about one’s occupation and job roles on the date but it does not seem proper to ask people about their income, net worth or related issues. This might sound surprising but many people get questions about the cost of their cars, homes and even family net worth and social statuses on first dates. Rather, try to focus on similarities and things about your date’s job or career that you might find interesting.
2. Marital questions: Even if marriage is your ultimate goal for dating, it is best to get to know your date better before popping out questions like - So when do you wish to get married or what do you think about marriage? Some people think it is less obvious when they ask questions about genotype instead or if your date will be willing to relocate to another city for love but those are just as overt as asking the person to marry you directly. Such questions might sound too straightforward and scare your date away such that you might not get a second one.
3. Cases of the Ex’s: It is quite annoying when people ask questions or start to talk about their past relationships on a first date. Asking someone why they broke up with their ex-girlfriends or boyfriends or why they have been out of a relationship is quite personal for a first date. Such questions should be preserved for later when the other party is comfortable enough to tell you.
4. Future goals: Contrary to the book ‘Think like a man”, I do not think it is cool to ask people about their short term or long term goals on a first date. There are other creative ways to obtain information about if one is driven without making your date seem like a job interview.
5. Home-making skills and Special talents: Questions like – can you cook, can you build a house, can we make healthy babies, are you a great hunter etc. should not even be considered on a first date unless somehow it is within the context of the conversation but please try not to force them into your date time.
All of these may sound cliché but trust me, many people are still guilty. In conclusion, go out, relax, enjoy your dates and just be happy J
Twitter handle: @vivio_gogo Instagram: @ugochiukah