Tuesday 30 August 2016

The 21st Century Relationship(s) by Ngozi Okoroji

Hello Hi,

I'm back again! This time around, the story is from a friend sharing some interesting thoughts...:

pic source: forfriendsforever.wordpress.com
The 21st Century Relationship(s)

As a child I watched my folks and how they related with friends, most of which were bosom and from childhood. They chatted about growing up, what the village was like, walking to school, farm, market to sell goods with mama, going to the stream to fetch water, wash, and play. How they all grew up, got married and are scattered around the world. What amazed me was how they all supported each other and gathered together every time there was an event (good or bad). I picked a lesson from their relationship - sacrifice keeps true friendship.


The English dictionary defines a friend as a person with whom one has a bond of mutual affection, typically one exclusive of sexual or family relations. The bible in Proverbs 18:4 defines a friend as one who sticks closer than a brother. With these definitions let me talk about the 21st century friendship.

I like to use myself or people around me as examples. Since birth till date (least that I know am an adult now), I can count how many friends have come and gone. I am compelled to write this based on experiences with friends; speaking to others made me realise that everyone had a thing or two to say about friendship.

The 21st century friendship is a carnivorous one. We feed off each other, we can only be friends when there's a need or benefit from it. Unknowingly, the 21st century friendship can be described as ‘use and dump’. My realisation from the old and new generation is that as technology evolved so did friendship. It grew from making sacrifices, trusting each other, sticking up for each other etc. to convenience, lies, being two-faced etc. Someone once told me that friends could mar or make you. So it's important to choose wisely. A school of thought says that like minds attract each other. I think it's become something material that attracts one (money, beauty, brains, contracts,
wealth, influence etc.). I once knew that friendship had these few characteristics: Trust, sacrifice, tolerance, sticking up for each other etc. The modern day friendship is filled with lies, deceit, jealousy and so much negativity.

This even applies to relationships. A young man meets a lady his attracted to and all he thinks of is how to sleep with her and all the many things she has to offer physically as opposed to getting to know her (personality, background, temperance, religion, beliefs, ideologies, intellect) etc. I once met a young man who went with me to meet my friends for our Friday night hangout. It was our (I and the young man) first time of meeting and I appreciated the gesture of taking me to meet with friends and bringing me back home. In my little head, I was thinking that maybe we will do this again - just the two of us and get to know each other better, but of course he ruined it when he kissed me. At that moment, I froze but since the car was off, I played along and kissed him back. Maybe I shouldn't have kissed back, but at that moment I couldn't think straight. I guess that's the price to pay for hopping into free rides. I can't get that scene out of my head, every time I reminisce about the world we live in, I can't help but think we live in a rotten age.

With all my research and experience from failed relationships, I ponder what will be left of this generation and the future generations if relationships are based on all of the above listed.
I pray someone who reads this learns to savage relationships. Let’s add a little spice from the old generation friendship to our new school friendship and make the best from it. I drop my pen here, till next time when my thought takes me elsewhere.


I am not a conventional writer but I felt inspired to this. I hope it enriches someone.

Thank y'all for reading and as usual, please comment, share with a "friend" :) and remain blessed.

Follow me on twitter: @vivio_gogo ; Instagram: @ugochiukah

No comments:

Post a Comment