Sunday 4 May 2014

THE PRESENT MATTER

Hello everyone,

I planned to upload something different today but I had to get this off my chest first..phew!! Thank you for reading and have a lovely week.

I do not know exactly how many they are in number; some have said 250, others have quoted higher figures and recently, there have been many writing ‘234’ followed by hash tags of “bring back our girls”. The number is not important in the real sense because even if it were only 1 girl, she still should not have been taken away for any cause. Neither does the gender matter because if it were a boy either, he still should be brought back home to where he belongs. With the trending news of the Chibok matter, one cannot ignore the situation of Nigeria, no matter how oblivious you may have been previously to what happens in the country.
Personally, I strive not to get involved in issues that I think could be political, mostly because I do not understand what happens behind the closed national doors of assembly and so, I have never written about such matters. However, the sudden looks of sadness, anxiety and the questions that I am faced with these days whenever I proclaim that I am Nigerian to someone have prompted me to write about these thoughts, which have filled my mind recently. Someone asked me last week if I knew any of the girls; another asked about the Nyanya bomb blast yesterday and a close friend had recently questioned me in a whisper “who are the Boko Haram people?” My answers have been similar, - I do not know the girls in person; I do not know who threw the bomb or who might have died from it and I do not know any Boko Haram person or if I do, then I do not know that the person is a member but I know that these problems did not just start in Nigeria; they have just been ignored for so long and now, we are all facing the consequences. I remember when there was shooting in Borno state; it was not long since after our current president had been sworn into office in 2011. Do not misconstrue my writing please, I am not saying that the killings had anything to do with Mr. President; I am sure that they were active before then but that was the first time I truly paid attention about them and after that, there have been series of stories of church bombing, public shootings and riots; sometimes occurring simultaneously.

I keep telling myself that we could have done something earlier to prevent this current situation. A lot of us have pointed fingers at the president, some at the opposing political parties and there have even been rumours of sponsors dropping arms and provisions for the attackers. Although I am not sure about what we could have done or how we should have done it, I am pretty sure that blaming everyone or anyone in particular has not been very helpful. I have been most impressed by the groups of women who have organised campaigns on the streets, some wailing as they brand their posters in the air; but I have also been confused by some of the smiling faces in some of these campaign pictures, one might wonder if the women smiling really knew what they were on the streets for.  I have also read some beautiful articles and quotes about the abducted girls but what struck me the most was a writing I came across saying that some people are only posting about this event on their social network just to stay relevant. How callous!, one might think but I am sure that he or she who wrote that had personal reasons, so there is no need for me to judge. Maybe he or she meant that we should not just write or quote once about the girls; we definitely need more action and creativity.   Unfortunately, I do not know if any of our beautiful words or expressions is being read by the president, governors or senators who have the power to act actively concerning the woes of the country. Nonetheless, until something is done to release our girls and make our country better, we all need to be alert and continue to spread awareness so as to bring about justice and make sure that this matter is not forgotten and let to die away slowly; just like many others have done in the past in our beloved country. And so, it is with this hope that some of us write, believing that we shall be read by someone, anybody, who can help to alleviate this present national burden.


Twitter handle: @vivio_gogo

6 comments:

  1. True words....the fact that our president likened the situation to the missing malaysian aircraft is scary cos from my point of view when a problem becomes bigger than the president it in all sense of the word become bigger than the nation. We are giving sharks like the US n UK reasons to enter our borders in the future and make it home in the name of peacekeeping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you imagine such nonsense?! If the news had not gone round, this case would have just been hushed by now. smh. Our dear country! Anyway, thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. I recall arguing with friends on FB about issues and someone said we should stop wasting our time shouting on Facebook and social media that if we wanted change then we needed to stand up and be counted. But it took the hash tag #Bringbackourgirls to get the international community involved and pressurised our govt to wake up, and for GEJ to even address the nation 3 weeks after. Despite all the grandstanding the govt is now exhibiting, Nigerians know the govt policy since has been to keep quiet abd wait for the dust to settle or another disaster to distract peoples mind. These things have been going on without consequences, it wasn't too long ago that they went to a boys boarding school and massacred all of them in their sleep without the govt apprehending anybody. The truth of the matter is that human life has lost it's value in Nigeria and people have gotten immmune to news about Bok o Haram esp in the south. I think it's from this context that the guy you quoted mentioned that people posting comments were just trying to remain relevant. Likewise, there was a protest at the Nigerian embassy in London, and those interviewed were criticizing the govt for their nonchalance and not doing anything for over 3 weeks. But I couldn't help wondering that same could be said for the protesters, why has it taken them 3 weeks to match on the embassy, why was it when the hashtag had gone viral and the world's attention was focused on the issue with the US, France, China and UK offering to help that it dawned on them to protest, either way it's better late than never, but we should learn to be mire proactive rather than reactive. Personally, I think the Nigerian govt can't handle book haram or don't have the political will to do so, but isn't it embarrassing that we need the US to come all the way across the Atlantic to Dusty remote Chibok to help us find children that were kidnapped by supposed Islamic fundamentalist at our backyard under a supposed state of emergency. Let's just pray that the girls are still in the vicinity and have not been trafficked across the Sahara as slaves as promised. Ogoigwe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I also had a similar argument with a friend but yes o, better to be embarrassed than to get no help at all. I sincerely hope they have not sold the girls as they claim; I always wonder why someone would want to buy a girl; or are we back to the slave-trade era? KMT. We all need to be proactive as you said!

      Delete
  3. It's just so sad, all these things happening in Nigeria. I hate to say this but I think it's going to get worse especially with the upcoming elections. If the issue of Boko Haram had been dealt with when it first started I'm sure sooo many innocent lives would have been saved. I pray those girls would be reunited safely to their families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know o and since that time, they havent found the girl. God help us. thank u for commenting,

      Delete